Instagram Pictures

Instagram Pictures

Saturday, April 6, 2013

OCD

Today I met a client who has OCD. He has to tap the pen exactly 3 times before writing. I saw him do it when he had to sign a few different documents. He noticed that I noticed and he was quite embarrassed about it but I said it's totally fine because I have a few OCDs myself.

If you don't know what is OCD, here is the definition from Mayo Clinic:


"Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions) that lead you to do repetitive behaviors (compulsions). With obsessive-compulsive disorder, you may realize that your obsessions aren't reasonable, and you may try to ignore them or stop them. But that only increases your distress and anxiety. Ultimately, you feel driven to perform compulsive acts in an effort to ease your stressful feelings."


Remember Monica from Friends? She is like the poster child for OCD. The furnitures in her apartment have to be exactly on the same spot otherwise it would drive her nuts. And everything has to be spotless. Like how in this one episode she just could not sleep because all she could think about is the dirty stain in the living room. In the end she caved in, got up and cleaned in the middle of the night.

Sounds familiar? Then you might have an OCD and you don't even realise it hehe.

Just to share some of mine:

  • Before I start reading a book, I need to sniff it for at least 5 seconds. 
  • The TV's volume has to be an even number.
  • The call logs in my phone have to be all names. Meaning if an unknown number calls, I would need to either save the number as a contact, or delete it from my call logs because seeing numbers among my contact names in the call logs will just drive me insane. 


Just looking at this is giving me anxiety.


So.. If you see a girl at MPH sniffing books, that's most probably me.


2 comments: