Instagram Pictures

Instagram Pictures

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Hair Post

Considering how I am so attached to my hair, you'd think that my hair care regimen would be tedious. But it's actually pretty basic. Before I start, here's some info about my hair:
  • Waist length
  • Naturally straight/wavy-ish 
  • Thick. Each strand itself is also thick. 
  • Excessively dyed and bleached 
For the past few years, I've tried numerous different products. These are my favorites:


Kerastase (for dry hair)

Expensive, but worth it. I found that my hair was less dry and more manageable just after a few washes.


Kerastase Masquintense

THE BEST HAIR MASK EVER. Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jlo, Cameron Diaz, SJP and Jennifer Aniston (Jennifer Aniston ok!! THE hair icon) swear by this. After just ONE use, my hair became so soft and smooth like silk. About RM180 for 200 ml.


Loreal Elseve (for colored hair)

Also love this. Makes your hair smooth and shinyyyyy =D


Victoria's Secret So Sexy Shampoo & Conditioner


It's no secret that I am obsessed with anything Victoria's Secret and Adriana Lima. So when I went to Los Angeles in 2007, my first time in the US, my #1 priority was to go to VS.

Me entering the VS store @ Hollywood

Seeing the store was like seeing the Eiffel Tower for me. I could spend hours in there. I was like a kid in a candy shop.


Total damage (excluding lingeries & PJs)


Among the items I bought were 4 sets of shampoo and conditioner. I fell in love after the first wash. And no, I am not biased. They're just so damn awesome. Makes your hair smell crazy good the WHOLE day, even the next day. The shampoo & conditioner are scented with one of VS' signature fragrances. When I finally ran out of them, I started to harass friends in the US to buy them for me.


Dove Intense Repair
Dove Intense Repair Mask

What I'm currently using. To be honest, they give me almost the same effect as Kerastase.


VS Detangler

I spray this after showering, when my hair is still damp. Great for those with super long hair like moi.



VS Hair Serum

Another favourite of mine. Smells heavenly like the shampoo & conditioner.


Lakme Hair Serum


This is a really good serum for those with very dry ends. I started using it when my hair got totally FRIED after a hair perm gone wrong (more on this later).


JS Exclusive Hair Tonic

To prevent hair loss and promote hair growth. The box also said that it gets rid of scalp itchiness too. Smells yucky but it actually works! I used to suffer from really bad hair fall. Every time I shower I would shed about 300 strands of hair. I know because I counted. Yes, I counted. It was killing me. Thank god for this. Makes your scalp feel cool and minty. It's super cheap, around RM 60. I totally forgot the name of this hair tonic so I spent quite some time googling and I finally found it. Luckily for you guys, I also found this website where you can get it online for RM 48!


Now, before I go to the item that helped salvage my beyond damaged hair from a perm, thought I'd share what happened first. It was in 2009. I had just coloured my hair and got some highlights, which required me to bleach my hair because it was dark brown before. Then not long after, I decided that I wanted a perm because I curled my hair manually everyday anyway so might as well get a perm right?

So one day I went to this hair salon with a few of my friends. I showed the hairstylist the kind of curls I had in mind, he said it was totally doable, but of course to get the exact curls I would have to style it a bit. I told him to proceed. The whole time I was so ecstatic, thinking that I was going to leave with big bouncy curls.

When they finally took my hair off the perming thingamajiggy, I had to go rinse my hair I think. I cant really remember. But what I remembered was this: my hair was wet, the stylist was combing through it before blowing it dry, and I saw strands of my hair coming off. Like literally every time he combed my hair, I saw a bunch of them just fall off :O I could tell the stylist was worried as well. I touched a chunk of my hair and they felt like jelly. Thats the only way I could describe it. I felt like I could squish my hair. Then I took one strand and gently pulled it. It was like a spring. It expanded a bit, and then it broke. I was completely horrified. I tried to calm myself and said that it would be alright when the stylist was done blowing my hair. But it got worse.

My hair was so FRIED he couldn't even blow curl it. I ended up with hair that felt and looked like wires. When I moved my head, my hair didn't even budge. I started crying at the hair salon. My friend couldn't even console me because even she was incredibly shocked too. The stylist started to panic. Turns out that this happened because my hair was previously bleached, and supposedly I had to wait a certain amount of time before perming it. I was so beyond pissed off because I already TOLD him that I had just bleached my hair so obviously he wasn't paying attention. I wanted to punch his face and castrate him.

I cried all the way home, not believing that I went to the hair salon with perfectly fine hair, thinking that I was going to get this:


But instead I ended up going home with this:



After the disaster, I wore my hair in a bun most of the time because it just looked like a bloody carpet when I put it down. And you know how when you twist your hair and pin it into a bun, you'd have strands of hair sticking out? My hair was so dry, the strands of hair that stuck out felt like tree branches, poking my neck -____-

The only solution was for me to cut off the damaged part but that would mean I would end up with a bob. No way, no freaking way. I didn't want to go get hair treatments at the hair salon either because that is the last place that I wanted to go to. So I spent hours googling trying to find other alternatives.  I found this:

Olive Oil

Yup, the same olive oil that can be found in your kitchen. Apparently it makes an amazeball hair mask. So what I did was, every night I would wash my hair, soak it with olive oil (avoid roots), twist it into a bun, wear a shower cap, and go to sleep. When I wake up the next day I would wash it off, and repeat again. So basically my hair was soaked in olive oil for almost 24 hours a day. It went on for about 2-3 weeks. Thank god I was on a long holiday because I had just graduated and was in the process of applying for jobs. When I was too lazy to do the whole routine during the day, then I'd just put on the Lakme Hair Serum instead and use the olive oil at night.

Poor Nadri had to sleep next to someone who wears a shower cap and smells like olive oil. It was uber gross but he was ok with it. If thats not love then I don't know what is haha!

The olive oil totally saved my hair. My hair was even in a better condition than before I permed it. You guys don't have to do it the extreme way like I did. Soaking your hair with olive oil after showering and leaving it for half an hour or so would suffice.


*EDITED on 29/12/2012*
Please shampoo and condition your hair after you're done masking it with the olive oil ok. Sorry if I wasn't clear because apparently some of you put on the mask and just rinsed with water after and ended up with yucky hair lol.

Lastly, I'm going to share about how to curl your hair and make it last for days without using hair spray. The secret is to use...

Hair straightener

Yup, curling with a hair straightener. It all started in 2007. Nadri and I had just arrived in Melbourne and we went to check out the mall. He went into Borders while I strolled outside just window shopping. Suddenly this sales girl who was holding a hair straightener (pictured above) approached me and said she wanted to show me how to curl my hair using that. I was intrigued so I followed her to her booth. I sat there as she took a small section to my hair, clamped it with the hair iron, make a twist, and pulled the iron down. That section of hair was curled perfectly. OMG. Magic, I thought. She did a few more sections on the same side of my hair. By that time I just knew that I HAD to have it! So I quickly went to Borders to find Nadri. Mind you that half of my hair was straight while the other half was curled. I looked kinda crazy lol.

At first he said no. We just arrived in Melbourne the day before, we haven't even found an apartment to stay at for the semester (we were staying in a hotel) and I wanted to get an AUD200 hair iron, which is around RM600. But I begged him and said it will be an investment, it will last for years (which is true, I'm still using the same hair iron and it has been over 5 years!), I promised to not buy anything else for a month, and I said I was actually saving money because getting my hair curled at the hair salon would be more expensive. Finally, he gave me the green light =D

So I went back to the booth and let the sales girl finish off my hair. I spent the next few days figuring out how to do it. I definitely can't describe to you how because you need to see it to understand. What you guys can do is, you can search for 'how to curl hair with hair straightener' on youtube. There are hundreds of them.

You can control the 'tightness' of the curls. If you want it to be big and loose, you pull down faster. If want tighter curls, pull down slower. The best thing about curling your hair this was is that you don't need to use hair spray. The curls WILL stay. It can last a few days, if you don't wash your hair.

Here are some pictures of the curls using the hair straightener. Sorry if it's not so clear because I just quickly and randomly chose these pics. As you can see, they don't all look exactly the same because you can control and style accordingly.

St Kilda Beach, Melbourne

Bondi Beach, Sydney

Along & Kak Eda's wedding


Kak Elly's open house

Syeera's wedding

Award night




So, thats it! Hope you guys would find this helpful. Have a good week everyone :)

XXX,
Tia




13 comments:

  1. salam tia,

    cantiknye rambut u. i minat sangat. i pon suke perm rambut macam u. anyway tq for the hair tips:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. W'salam. Thanks hun :) I serik dah nak perm rambut hahaha

      Delete
  2. Hi dear thank you very much to share ur hair regime wit us!no wonder ur hair lookin gorjuzz wit all ur effort.:) i have a doubt dear regarding the olive oil.izzit we have to apply on our wet hair after shower?n thn as u said leave it for 30mins,after tht do we have to wash back the oily hair or juz leave it?thnx a ton again! ;) - S.A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi babe!

      Sorry I wasn't clear. Right after shower, squeeze off the excess water with a towel so that your hair is damp, not dripping wet. Put on the oil, leave for 30 minutes, then shampoo and condition again :)

      You can actually put on the oil before showering, but I tried that and it was so hard to get the oil to stick to my hair when it's dry.

      Hope this helps :)

      Delete
  3. Omg I was about to ask you the same question as the above has asked. But then I read your answer.

    I just masked my hair with olive oil yesterday. Unfortunately I wasn't doing it right. I didnt shampoo and condition it back. NO WONDER MY HAIR TURNED OUTTA BE SO HEAVY AND OILY AND YUCKY TODAY HAHAHA.

    Anyway, thanks Tia! I followed some of your tips already, in hopes that I can be as pretty as you. :) -Tasha-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasha!

      OMG I feel so bad for not being clear! I can imagine how gross your hair was with all the oil LOL. Sorry babe, my bad. I shall edit the post. I hope your hair condition will improve :)



      Delete
  4. Hi Tia,how's that VS shampoo, conditioner, serum and detangler working on your hair? Despite the crazy good smell. Because I'm addicted to anything VS too. And I'm thinking of buying it too if it's really working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Surprisingly, the VS hair products are really good. My hair smelled incredible and was very VERY soft. Even after the first wash. Go get them! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi! Thanks for sharing the info on the hair tonic, just ordered a bottle n hoping it works for me as it did for you *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  6. i ordered the hair tonic right after i read your post.. thanks tia..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salaam tia.
    Nak tanye mcm mn cara u soak your hair tu and jenama ape olive oil u pakai?

    ReplyDelete