Instagram Pictures

Instagram Pictures

Friday, November 9, 2012

The Neglected Chanel

I read somewhere that if a bag is stored in its box for a long period of time, especially in humid countries, there's a high probability that the bag would grow MOLD.

My heart stopped when I read that, because it reminds me of this particular bag that I bought exactly one year ago, on 8th November 2011, which has not seen the daylight. Ever. It has been properly kept in layers of tissue papers in the dust bag and in the box, sitting on my bag shelf. After I got it, I only took it out once to admire it, then I wrapped it back exactly the way the SA did it and that was it.

Last weekend when I went to Alexis with Zia Wen and Joyce, I told them about this and Zia Wen said it happened to her mom's patent Dior bag. It didn't grow mold but the color changed from beige to green OMG!! :O :O :O

The next day, I just HAD to take a peek of my bag to see if it was alright. In doing so, I decided to take pictures. You see, there's no other experience like unboxing a Chanel bag. I've bought Balenciaga, Gucci, Prada, Dior, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs but they were all just stuffed in the dust bag, some without a box even. But Chanel really knows how to package their goods.

Before we proceed with the pictures, there's a little story behind this bag.

It all started that one night in November. Nadri and I went to KLCC to have dinner. I was 9 months pregnant then. I wanted to get a bag for myself so I told him that I wanted to stop by at Balenciaga. I didn't even consider Chanel because I knew that that would mean trouble. The devil WILL be unleashed and I would not be able to control myself. So there we were in Balenciaga and I was happy enough looking at the colours for the season. Then he said let's walk around. We walked until we reached Chanel and he dragged me in, JUST to look he said.

I should have said no. I should have resisted. But this is Chanel. If you know me personally, you'd know that I am obsessed with it. So it was really beyond my power. The devil inside started whispering evil things in my head. Crap.

I tried not to look. But that only lasted for 2 seconds. The next thing I knew I was trying on 7 different bags. Usually Nadri would look bored and start playing with his phone but that night he suddenly showed interest and even said that this particular bag (the one that I ended up buying) was gorgeous.

I knew that I was in a deep trouble. I wanted needed the bag.

As much as I wanted to, I didn't get the bag that night. One thing for sure, I always tell myself that I would never EVER buy a Chanel is Malaysia. It's just too expensive. You can get it for a few thousands cheaper in Europe. So I went home, and started calling Chanel in Paris, Italy and London. They were sold out in this color EXCEPT for ONE Chanel boutique in London. They had the last piece. I quickly put it on reserve. Then I started asking around to see if anyone I know was in London and could get it for me. It was on my bbm status, Facebook and also Twitter.

The only person I could find was a friend's friend who was there for a business trip. I begged my friend to beg his friend to help me out. After what seemed like hundreds of texts and long distance phone calls, the friend's friend agreed BUT:

  1. He would check in my bag
  2. I would need to pick it up myself at KLIA
#2 was fine but to check in the bag? Hell nooooo. Whenever I buy Chanel overseas, I always carry it as a hand luggage. ALWAYS. No way was I going to risk it getting damaged or god forbid, stolen or sent to a different country. I begged my friend to beg his friend again about carrying MY bag as hand luggage and check in HIS stuff instead. Unfortunately, that guy refused. I wasn't surprised. He didn't even know me haha.

Anyway, I was so sad I cried. Yes, I cry over bags (You should listen to the story about how I chased this Chanel when I was in NYC but that's for another day). It hurts to know that the bag was just sitting there in the London boutique, reserved for ME, waiting for ME, but no one to get it and bring it home safely for me. Either I risk it by letting the guy check it in, or I buy it in KL. But I just couldn't. It's too darn expensive here. I went to sleep with a hole in my heart.

A few days after that I felt better. I was at peace about the whole situation. I guess it was just not meant to be. But then, my friend Joyce (also a Chanel freak) called. She bought the bag in KLCC!! I almost fainted. I told her about the bag on the night I went into Chanel with Nadri. She wanted to get the same bag but in another colour. But when she went to the store, she saw the one I wanted and said that it was so gorgeous that she changed her mind. The SA told her that there were only 2 pieces left out of the 3 pieces that was allocated to Chanel Malaysia. My friend got one and reserved the last piece for me. It was like she could read my mind because the moment she told me that, I was already halfway out the door, heading to KLCC. 

Everything happened so fast. My principle of "Never Buy a Chanel in KL" went down the drain. I totally lost control of myself. I made a silent vow that I was never going to buy a bag for the next 2 years at least (broke that vow 3 months after that -____- ).

You'd think that after all the trouble and drama, I would be wearing the bag day and night and sleep with it. But nope, haven't worn it even once. I guess it was because I was too busy preparing for Alayna's delivery and then I was confined for almost 2 months and when I started going out again, I found myself reaching for my Balenciagas every single time. They are so easy and carefree and I could just stuff everything in it. 

Ok enough with the talking. Now on to the pictures!


Just looking at this makes my heart flutter

Flip the box open

Wrapped in black tissue paper

Comes with 2 booklets which contain:

A 'certificate' to show date of purchase 

Authenticity card

A walk through on how the bag was made, with lots of pics. Love this!

Finally, the bag in its dust bag. This is the old version. I requested for it.

The new dust bag. I prefer the old one, easier to get in and out of.

Layers of tissue papers to cushion your bag.

Let's see what's inside, shall we?

But before that, more tissue papers. Like I said, Chanel REALLY knows how to wrap.
This is it... I was so scared if I was going to find mold :(

But I didn't!! It's perfect!!

This is the pale gold 2.55 from the 11A collection. Looks more silver upfront. Love at first sight :')

Classic flap vs 2.55

The left side is the classic flap which is more popular than the 2.55. I actually prefer the 2.55 because there's just so much history behind the bag, It's the original design by Coco Chanel but when Karl Lagerfeld took over he came up with the classic flap. He then reintroduced the 2.55 in 2005. The 2.55 is lighter, edgier, and has a vintage look that I absolutely loveeee.

I promise I will start using it soon. I'll probably bring it on our trip this December. It's the perfect bag for winter =)

4 comments:

  1. nice one dear...dun 4get 2 write abt ur chasin story in NYC...hehe lookin fwd to tht...:)-secret admirer..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again :)
      Haha ok I will write about that for sure.

      Delete
  2. OMG I could just die by looking at the pictures. Gah. Looking at THE black box makes my heart skip a beat. I want one too!
    :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never gets old! I get butterflies every single timeeee. I wonder how it feels like to unbox THE orange box hehe.

      Delete